Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Summer Wednesdays

Wednesday. Hump Day. Not Quite Thirsty Thursday.

Generally my opinion of Wednesdays has been pretty unremarkable. Better than Tuesday. Not as great as Thursday. Getting over the hump is great and all, but nothing to cheer about.

That is, until I discovered Summer Wednesday Music Nights just down the street from us - a free kids' show from 6-7pm on Wednesday nights in July and August. A band called Rolie Polie Guacamole (I'm hungry just thinking about it) sets up their amps and rocks out on the street corner singing about the joys of being upside-down, dragon hunting, hopping like a kangaroo, and, of course, eating guacamole.

Ellie is a little shy about getting up to dance and generally prefers to stick close to me while eating goldfish. But I adore it. I am a complete sucker for community activities and have been known to spontaneously burst into tears at parades, ballgames - pretty much anywhere people come together for a common purpose. This little weekly corner music party hits me in the exact same sweet spot. I see all the families, and all the kids dancing, and I well up with this slightly bittersweet happiness. Soaking in all the joy, but also knowing just how fleeting it all is. The best part is that most Wednesdays Brian can come straight from work and is able to meet us there. Then, it's perfect.

The shows go until the end of August, and I plan to be at every one.


Ellie, showing off the finer points of being upside-down.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

So cool that there's something like that in your neighborhood. I'm jealous!

Anonymous said...

ellie: when you get a chance to sit it out or dance.......I hope you dance.............grandma

Sarah said...

First of all, I am the same way and get a lump in my throat just thinking about how I would be getting a lump in my throat if I were there with you. SECOND of all, Ellie is wearing one of my all time favorite old Zoe outfits from that age, which makes this post even more bittersweet for ME. :-) XOXO