Thursday, November 10, 2011

A Note to Myself About Expectations

Dear Self, and assorted Family and Strangers,

I had an amazing time at the marathon party on Sunday. But it was almost ruined by my own head and expectations. I spent a crazy amount of time cooking a ton of food the day before the party, and while it was certainly appreciated by our friends, the stress of getting it all done came close to killing me. Lesson learned: you have two children, and are chronically sleep deprived. You can no longer accomplish everything you could do before Ellie and Gabe. Or rather, you can, but it may not be fun.

I tend to hold myself to impossibly high standards and really need to lighten up. So, in the future, when planning parties (or even life in general) figure out what's really important and focus on that. In this case: donuts. The cider donuts rock my world, and it wouldn't be the marathon party without them. But all the rest of brunch could be ordered in, or potlucked, or some other solution. And I would have had much less pre-party stress. And as long at there are donuts, I don't think anyone else would mind.

Lesson learned. And hopefully remembered.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Hear Hear! Can you believe that people out here don't know what cider donuts are?? Every fall we've been here, while lovely weather wise, I get very sad that I can't find one cider donut in the whole state.

Anonymous said...

Yes, potluck! You deserve to enjoy the day as much as everyone else! And next year at this time, I will live near you, and will drag a whole cart full of food over there!...Marisa xo

nycindyloo said...

even though I wasn't there, I wholeheartedly agree. People will come whether or not you make a sick spread. All you have to do is ask. It is surprising how much people are willing to help if they are only asked. HUGS!